At Biblical Thought blog there was an interesting question posted in the comments section. The answer given by the BT blogger is very intriguing for me because it shows a little something about the mind set of a disciple of Bob Morey.
What / Who are a moreyites?
Nov 19th, 2008
There is technically no fixed definition for the term "moreyite" given that there are a so few of them. The term moreyite is used to denote a disciple of the teaching ministry of Dr. Robert A. Morey. They tend to display many or all of the following characteristics in varying degrees.
1. They accept the claims and assertions of Bob Morey on his personal and academic background at face value.
2. They unquestioningly accept Bob Morey's claims on theology, philosophy, and history as fact.
3. They emulate and repeat Bob Morey's talking points verbatim in discussions of faith and morals.
4. They (like Bob Morey) condescendingly belittle other Christians that disagree with them and people of other faiths accusing them of changing the subject.
5. They turn away any evidence of wrong doing on the part of Bob Morey always giving him the benefit of the doubt.
6. They disassociate from former church members that find Bob Morey's behaviour to be unethical.
7. They charge any critic of Bob Morey with "slander and gossip" (a Morey mantra) and call former FCC members "disgruntled" and "apostates".
This is just a working definition and description of some of the negative characteristics that these people share. They are also very zealous for the things of God and treat each other as a family when you become part of that circle. They are theologically oriented bunch that have a fire to teach and preach the gospel to a dying world. But once you step outside that circle, things change as outlined point 6.
Moreyites, Are those people who gain an interest and focus in a man. They are not really there to be an active part of the body.
This is not how the term has been used by those who are no longer in ministry with Morey. Most if not all those who have worked with Morey belong to other churches involving themselves in other ministries. Larry Wessels for instance has a ministry that continues to do apologetics on Islam, Roman Catholicism, and the cults.
Identifying and exercising gifts, being a blessing to those around them, being accountable to God through each other. In the end, when things don’t work out the way they expect, they leave because they are not really interested in the church, which is made up of believers, not a building or any individual man!
This is clearly a false statement by the blogger for two reasons.
1. These people continue to serve God elsewhere.
2. He cannot see into the heart of those who have left FCC and judge their motives.
We are well aware of the fact that we as sinners, wil fail each others expectations, violate each others rights at times.
This by the way is an example of point 3 where Morey tells all his followers that he will fail them...
But we are soldiers in the Army of the King of Kings! We press on together, and we by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, are not those who abandon our brothers! We stand together and reach out as aministry to the world!
Nov 20th, 2008
The phrase "We....are not those who abandon our brothers!" I find ironic in light of points 6 and 7. But we will continue to pray and hope that one day they will realize that we care for them and hope that they will see Dr. Robert Morey for who he is.
An Asian and a Caucasian Talk in a Truck
47 minutes ago